Getting enough sleep is vital to your health, wellbeing, and well-being. Lack of sleep can negatively impact your mental and physical health, as well as increase the risk of developing chronic health conditions. Fortunately, there are plenty of natural ways to help you get a better night’s sleep that don’t involve spending money on over-the-counter or prescription drugs. If you struggle with insomnia or feel like you don’t get a good night’s rest on a regular basis, it may be time to add cannabis to your bedtime rituals.
What is insomnia?
Insomnia, or the inability to fall asleep or stay asleep, is a very common sleep disorder that affects many people. You may be someone who is genetically predisposed to insomnia, or you might be experiencing it now due to stress or other factors. Either way, there are many ways to remedy insomnia and make sure you get the rest you need. There are many different types of insomnia and many different treatments that might be right for you. The most common types of insomnia are primary insomnia and secondary insomnia. In primary insomnia, a person does not experience difficulty falling asleep, but then has difficulty staying asleep. This can be a very frustrating and distressing situation for the person experiencing it. Secondary insomnia is when the person has difficulty falling asleep but then has no issues staying asleep. This is commonly seen in people who suffer from stress or anxiety.
How to Use Cannabis as a Sleep Aid
There are a few ways to use cannabis to help you fall asleep. First, if you suffer from insomnia, take a few minutes to relax before bedtime. If stress is causing you to struggle to get to sleep, try journaling, meditating, yoga, or taking a warm bath. When it comes to consuming cannabis to induce sleep, it’s important to use the right strain and dose for your specific needs. You can use a vaporizer to help you avoid the aroma that can make it hard to fall asleep. While one strain may help with sleepiness, it may not be effective for insomnia. It’s also important to take into consideration whether you are consuming edibles or flower. THC has a much longer wait time in your system before it starts having an effect, whereas CBD is metabolized much more quickly. This means that CBD-rich flowers may be a good option for someone who is looking for a sleep aid, but may not need the full-blown effects of THC.
The Benefits of Cannabis for Sleep
There are many benefits of using cannabis for sleep. First, it’s important to consider the key ingredients in different strains that may be helpful for sleep. For example, indica strains have been shown to have a stronger sedative effect and can help relieve stress, while sativa strains are more uplifting and can increase focus. There are also different levels of THC and CBD in different strains. When you consume cannabis, the THC heats up, while the CBD stays cooler, so the ratio of THC to CBD in your strain matters. Some of the other benefits of consuming cannabis for sleep include:
- Elevates the amount of serotonin in your brain—a neurotransmitter that regulates mood, stress, sleep, and appetite—which may help reduce stress and improve your mood.
- Reduces the stress hormone cortisol, which can cause drowsiness, fatigue, and irritability.
- May help with PTSD and anxiety, as both of these conditions are linked to insomnia.
- Promotes a feeling of calmness and relaxation, which can help with sleep.
- Stimulates your appetite, which may be beneficial for people who have trouble falling asleep.
- May help with certain types of sleep disorders such as sleep apnea and restless leg syndrome.
Helping Factors for Sleep with Cannabis
There are certain factors that can help make it easier to fall asleep and stay asleep when using cannabis as a sleep aid.
- Drink Water – A glass of water before bed is a great help for falling asleep because it will help you stay hydrated. This will help prevent any mood swings or issues with anxiety that can keep you awake.
- Avoid Alcohol – If you plan on drinking alcohol, you should wait until you fall asleep. Studies have found that the combination of alcohol and marijuana can be extremely harmful to your health.
- Avoid Exercise – Exercising before bed will keep your body alert, which will prevent you from falling asleep. This is because exercise releases endorphins in your body, which are naturally produced when you fall asleep.
There are many benefits associated with using cannabis as a sleep aid, as well as the fact that it is quite easy to induce sleepiness when using it. It is important that you find the right cannabis strain for you, and that you consume it in a way that will help you to fall asleep. Take your time consuming the herb, and enjoy the strong smell before you decide to lie down and relax. You should also consume cannabis before bed while sitting in a dark, climate-controlled room. Make sure that you don’t consume too much, as this could cause you to feel high and anxious, which will make it harder for you to fall asleep. When you’ve found the right cannabis strain, and you’ve figured out the best way to consume it, you’ll have no trouble getting a good night’s sleep. Visit Chronicfarms.cc online dispensary for all your cannabis needs.