Cannabis, or marijuana, has long been used to treat a variety of ailments. These include pain and inflammation, as well as stress and sleep disorders. There are so many benefits of using cannabis that there isn’t a single condition that it can’t help with. In this article, we will discuss the different ways regular cannabis usage can help patients suffering from arthritis. We will explore the research on cannabis in general and its relationship to arthritis specifically.
What is arthritis?
Arthritis is a general name for a group of disorders that affect the joints. There are many different types of arthritis, but the two most common are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis and is caused by the gradual loss of cartilage in the joints. This causes stiffness, pain, and limited movement. Other types of arthritis are inflammatory disorders and they are typically associated with other conditions, including certain medications and infections. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder that causes inflammation in the joints, whereas inflammatory arthritis is not thought to be an autoimmune disorder.
What are symptoms of arthritis?
Whether it is in your fingers, wrists, knees, or hips, symptoms of arthritis can be difficult to navigate. Luckily, if you are experiencing symptoms, you can also get relief. The most common symptoms of arthritis are:
- Joint pain: This can be constant or come and go
- Joint stiffness: As joints stiffen, they become less flexible, which can lead to injury
- Swelling: In warm joints, swelling is a good sign, but in colder joints it is an indication that inflammation is taking over
- Loss of range of motion: When joints are stiff, they are less able to rotate, which can lead to loss of flexibility
How does cannabis help with arthritis?
As we have discussed, there are many ways that regular cannabis use can benefit the health of the human body, including the hands and feet. There are those who use it to ease the symptoms of arthritis, but there are also those who are using it to prevent it. Regular cannabis use has been shown to help with:
- Pain: Research has shown that daily cannabis smokers experience less pain than non-smokers. This is likely due to the fact that cannabis has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce pain.
- Inflammation: Cannabis has also been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the swelling that comes with arthritis.
- Joint stiffness: Arthritis causes stiffness that is often accompanied by inflammation. In order to get rid of these symptoms, someone who is using cannabis regularly will experience less pain and stiffness than someone who isn’t.
- Joint mobility: Joints can become less mobile as people age, but arthritis can also cause this. By using cannabis regularly, someone can help prevent the mobility decrease associated with arthritis.
- Nerve pain: Some people with arthritis experience nerve pain as a result of inflammation. By using cannabis as a preventative, someone can help reduce nerve pain.
Health benefits of CBD in treating arthritis
One of the main components found in cannabis that is effective in treating inflammation is cannabidiol, or CBD. CBD is one of the compounds found in the plant that does not produce any psychoactive effects. This makes it an appealing option for patients who are looking for a remedy for pain without feeling dizzy or high. Scientists have found that CBD can treat arthritis pain by reducing activity in certain inflammatory pathways in the body. Specifically, it inhibits the activators that cause cells to release cytokines, substances that help trigger an inflammatory response. In addition to being effective in reducing inflammation, research shows that CBD has a number of therapeutic properties, including anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-cancer, anti-seizure, and anti-viral properties.
Cannabis has been used for thousands of years for a variety of purposes, including the treatment of pain, inflammation, and stress. Now, researchers are finding that cannabis can be an effective treatment for many diseases, including arthritis. Studies are still underway, but the majority of evidence suggests that regular cannabis use may reduce joint pain and stiffness, increase joint mobility, and reduce nerve pain in people with arthritis. For many arthritis sufferers, cannabis can help improve their quality of life. Visit Chronicfarms.cc online dispensary for all your cannabis needs.